Setting the Table with Style
Beautiful dining tablescapes aren't just for weddings and holiday entertaining. Enhance the dining experience of your family and friends by putting effort into creating a memorable table design. With a little planning and time you can create a breathtaking table design that will enhance your dinner or special event.
I approach tablescapes in a similar way to many of my larger design projects, I take into account function and aesthetics. Consider both closely as you formulate a plan for your dining tabletop creation.
Here are five simple tips to consider before embarking on your own dining tablescape design project:
- Set the table for form and function: Use the appropriate glassware, flatware and accessories that will be necessary to enjoy all courses of the meal. Try not to overdo; keep the table clutter free so your guests can enjoy their meals and each other's company.
- Color and Texture: Consider the tints, shades, complementary colors and saturation levels that will aid in setting your desired mood. Invite interest in a monochromatic theme by introducing textures and having fun with matte and glossy versions of your singular hue.
- Visual interest: Keep the scape visually appealing by using varying heights and widths of objects. Think tall candelabras, short vases, wide goblets or narrow flutes.
- Beyond the table: Your table design can include the airspace above the table and the floorspace below. Balloons overhead, flower petals underfoot are but a few options to enhance your table design.
- Honor your guests: Incorporate a party favor into your tablescape. Having your guests take home a small floral arrangement, a personalized calligraphy place card or some other memento from your dinner party will make them feel special.